Re: Surveys, self-archiving, and what authors want to do

That's one of the fallacies of Swan's argument, which mostly cavils at
Anthony Watkinson's thoughtful communication.  The more fundamental issue
is that the survey did not assess the single most important measurement,
which is how successful institutional repositories have been thus far in
getting authors to upload papers.  Ask around and see what you find out.
I am sure there are exceptions, but what I have found is that for the most
part, the people who have set up the IRs are disappointed by the rate of
acceptance by the faculty.  I'm not surprised:  the IRs are not being
marketed effectively.  I would be very interested to see the marketing
budgets (and the strategy) for IRs.  As a rule of thumb in the commercial
world, marketing costs 2-3 times the cost of product development for a new
service.  What universities are spending that kind of money and how are
they spending it?  Markets have to be created, and that costs money.

Joe Esposito