RE: Open Access in Europe

There is an important further point to be made here, which relates to
Point 3 made by Kurt below.

In some casese, European countries have mechanisms through which catalytic
central funding may be channeled once a policy direction is agreed. OA
activity is now supported by several national programs, which in turn
promote additional insitutional effort. This may provide part funding and
other support for some or all of: institutional project development,
shared service frameworks/infrastructure, software development, and
awareness raising.

Some examples:

Kurt mentions the Dare initiative:
http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue41/vanderkuil/
In the UK see the various projects funded as part of the FAIR program by
JISC:
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=programme_fair

See also, for comparison, the ARROW project in Australia:
http://arrow.edu.au/

Lorcan

Lorcan Dempsey [http://orweblog.oclc.org]
OCLC Research  [http://www.oclc.org/research/]