Re: Berlin-3 Open Access Conference, Southampton, Feb 28 - Mar 1 2005

I am grateful to Professor Harnad for setting out his arguments with such
clarity. Although his postings are always interesting to read they are not
usually self-contained and it is actually quite difficult to point
students to something short which encapsulates them.

The bigger numbers here are the numbers who signed the Budapest document.
I would submit that the number of individual academics is tiny compared
with the total and that the great majority of the organisations were not
organisations representing scholars. The PLOS signatories are much more
impressive in number. It is good to have the reference to the piece of
history because it is now well buried on the PLOS site and I cannot trace
any more the list of signatories. To remind younger readers of the list
the signatories pledged:

"To encourage the publishers of our journals to support this endeavor, we
pledge that, beginning in September 2001, we will publish in, edit or
review for, and personally subscribe to only those scholarly and
scientific journals that have agreed to grant unrestricted free
distribution rights to any and all original research reports that they
have published, through PubMed Central and similar online public
resources, within 6 months of their initial publication date".

I may be totally wrong but I would be very surprised if all those who made
this pledge have stuck to it. It would be quite easy for someone with time
and money to go check the list of signatories against the publication
records so kindly provided by ISI - but why bother?

However this is the past. If the academic community in large numbers
accepted what Professor Harnad believes in as self-evident by changing
their behaviour, publishing will change. Publishers follow what their
authors want. If they do not follow what their authors want they do not
get authors.

Please also note that I am not arguing against the contention (in answer
to Adam Hodgkin's comments) that some important academics support OA.
Certainly some do.