Re: Open Access in Europe

Dear Ann,

> The tradition of widest public access in libraries does serve us well
> here in the US and Canada, whereas we hear from many traveling
> researchers and students that access in/to European libraries is often
> very difficult or not generally permitted.

let me tell you from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Scandinavia, and
several other European countries I know by myself: Everybody, every
scholar and every citizien can step into a (state or university)  library
and access their resources, electronic and print without limitation. Don't
believe in anecdotal knowledge from travelling researchers which don't
know nothing about their university/city library and it's resources.

Regards, Oliver

Schoenen Tag noch und beste Gruesse,

Dr. Oliver Obst

Zweigbibliothek Medizin, Universitaets- & Landesbibliothek
Domagkstrasse 9, 48149 Muenster, Deutschland
Tel: +49/251.83-58550 Fax: -52583
http://zbmed.uni-muenster.de/ und http://medinfo.netbib.de