Re: Berlin-3 Open Access Conference, Southampton, Feb 28 - Mar 1 2005

I do not for a minute believe that institutional repositories have been
started because of pressure from many academics. I am sure "some"
academics were interested and even keen in most or even all cases. The
quotation I used gave the impression that there was a general movement
among academics. Does anyone deny that this quotation conveyed this
impression?

My assertion is that university bureaucrats are not acting, where they are
acting, because they are responding to the views of the academic body and
in order to improve scholarly communication. I was present at a talk by
the CEO of Imperial College London about a year ago. He had been fed SPARC
slides by his librarian. I taxed him afterwards over the content of his
slides. He admitted that he did not subscribe to all the "facts" in them
but told me that it did not matter what the academic community wanted. He
actually said this. Other influential people in the JISC hierarchy in the
UK have made similar statements to me privately.

His job was to save money. He had been convinced that OA would save money.
It was a matter of cost-effectiveness

I know there are those who would claim that there is no evidence that OA
will save money and indeed studies have shown increased costs to be the
case for research rich institutions. However this new message does not
seem to have got through to the people with power.

Of course my quotation from the JISC report was selective but not
incorrect. I did not select to misrepresent. There is a distinction. I was
certainly not arguing that this was the message of the report which was
concerned with how to achieve OA.

Anthony