COUNTER Report Consolidation Service

There have been two recent postings to this list regarding how librarians
have found COUNTER reports to be of great value, however they have found
the mechanical process of manually downloading these reports every month
from multiple vendors/publishers/service providers (sometimes hundreds
each month) to be very time consuming.  Collectively across the library
world, many thousands of hours each month are being wasted essentially
copying and pasting spreadsheets together and then formatting them.

MPS Technologies together with IBM (our statistics technology partner)
have recently been looking at this issue.  We already provide COUNTER data
processing services to a number of publishers.  COUNTER has achieved a
great deal in defining standards for usage reporting and for standardizing
the processing of usage data.  MPS is now looking at how we can automate
some of the manual tasks required to make the resulting COUNTER reports
more useful and to make life easier for librarians.

I am interested to know whether there is demand for a service for
libraries/consortia that would enable you to receive a single set of
consolidated COUNTER reports each month.

At this stage we are working out the details of how the service would work
(data collection, merging, delivery etc) and would very much appreciate
input from librarians that might find this of value.  If you feel that
this might be of interest to you, and would like to be part of a beta
trial (with all data treated confidentially), please contact me directly
at D.Sommer@Macmillan.com.  We would mainly work by email, and I would
expect the total time commitment from you at this stage to be a couple of
hours at the most.

I should state that, although I am a member of the COUNTER Executive
Committee, this is not an official statement from COUNTER.

Thank you,

David Sommer
MPS Technologies
Email: D.Sommer@Macmillan.com