Re: Berlin-3 Open Access Conference, Southampton, Feb 28 - Mar 1 2005

Anthony Watkinson is of course correct that few scholars have expressed
much interest in institutional repositories.  I think this is a shame, but
there you are.  What I continue to find baffling is the belief (not held
by Mr. Watkinson, of course) that there is a pent-up demand for Open
Access and that only money-grubbing publishers are getting in the way.
Many, perhaps most, publishers are attempting to accommodate OA in some
fashion; librarians appear to be supportive, also (though I continue to
find it hard to imagine a librarian's role in a world with extensive OA
and Google).  But authors?  By and large, they are not interested, with
important exceptions acknowledged.  Precisely why Professor Harnad
believes that mandated self-archiving represents a show of support is a
mystery to me.  To "green" and "gold" OA, we now have the
Eat-Your-Vegetables OA:  Do it because it is good for you.

Advocates of OA would be advised to focus less on new business models and
more on new businesses.  Such businesses would add value to authors, who
would engage these services not out of altruism but out of self-interest.
Coming up with these new businesses will require imagination and daring.
What the OA movement needs is entrepreneurs, not institutional mandates.

Joe Esposito