Re: BMC titles indexing in NLM PubMed

If there is rationale for NLM using different criteria for open access,
then it should be applied to open access articles rather than open access
publications (unless by "publications," you meant "articles.") My guess is
that there are more highly-cited articles freely available from non-OA
journals than from OA journals. That is certainly the case in my field,
endocrinology and metabolism.

However....I am not sure that a difference even for articles is consistent
with NIH policy and Dr. Zerhouni's statements. He has consistently denied
any intent to push publishing toward an OA model. If that is true, then
the NLM should not give preferential treatment to OA journals.

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association
1701 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311
703/299-2033
FAX 703/683-2890
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org

>>> heatherm@eln.bc.ca 2/11/2005 9:59:24 PM >>>

with apologies for cross-posting this reply (to the SPARC Open Access
Forum and Liblicense):

Regardless of why this may be happening, may I suggest that, all else
being equal, it would make perfect sense to NLM to establish different
criteria for open access publications?  With subscription-based resources
only, the indexing does not lead the user directly to the article.  Open
access articles added directly to PMC are a different matter, particularly
if the publisher is providing these - in convenient format - directly to
NLM to add to PMC (as BMC does).

cheers,

Heather Morrison