RE: Librarians, Publishing Behavior, & Open Access

The corporation providing the quotation in Bill's contribution may well be
Elsevier, and I feel that it's worth pointing out that earnings per share
(EPS) are pretty well independent of pricing policy.  We can all point to
examples where a company's financial performance has suffered through high
price increases and others where the same thing has happened through low
price increases.  EPS targets hang on strength of product line, costs, new
products, acquisitions and de-mergers - just to name a few factors not
involving accountancy.

Happily, the mention of double-digit price rises can't be Elsevier, since
five years ago we pledged ourselves to increases which were both single
digit and at the bottom end of the industry range.  In 2005 this
translated to an overall increase of 5.5%, with continuing profitability
sustained (we trust!) by these other means.

As you can imagine, I have a particularly personal stake in the idea that
some in our profession are trying to work with the for-profit industry.

Tony

Tony McSe�n
Director of Library Relations
Elsevier