Re: Open Access vs. NIH Back Access and Nature's Back-Sliding (fwd)

I am not sure why Dr. Swan makes the arguments she does, nor why some
publishers choose to engage them.  The question is not whether
self-archiving or institutional archiving hurts or could hurt the
sales of journals.  This is a matter of property, which the publishers
own and can do with as they please, provide they (a) comply with the
law and (b) observe the terms of their contracts.  There are marketing
considerations, of course (e.g., will permitting self-archiving build
good will and eventually lead to financial gain?), but these are the
publishers' marketing considerations, not the world's.

I may think my neighbor is a fool for smoking cigarettes, but they are his
cigarettes and his lungs.  Authors who do not like the property
relationships that publishers insist upon have a very powerful course open
to them, namely, not to submit their work for publication.  With all the
venues for publication now possible with network media (blogs,
self-archiving, institutional repositories, mailgroups, etc.), I don't see
what all the fuss is about.  If publishers don't add value, ignore them.
If they do add value, respect them.

Joe Esposito