RE: Emerald responds to dual publication

I add mention of the practice of republishing individual journal issues as
books. In the past, Pergamon was the major offender, a practice continued
for a while by Elsevier.  As an unpleasant variation, some of the books
were numbered monographic series--meaning a library might find itself with
two very high priced subscriptions, with overlapping content -- and the
volumes were usually conference proceedings as well, barely deserving a
single publication.  Another unpleasant variation was the publication of
the full conference as a book, and a large portion of it also as a
journal--forcing a subscriber to the journal to buy the book as well to
have all the papers.  I am glad to say that Elsevier has stopped dual
publication for many years now.

Kluwer did similarly, and refused to stop the practice, giving the
explicit reason that even a few more sales were essential to their
finances, as their subscription figures were so low. I hope this practice
has not continued under the current name and imprint.

Two publishers continue. The most important is the Royal Society (of
London.) Its Philosophical Transactions (both A & B) are now devoted to
reports of "Royal Society Discussion Meetings" .  Each of these issues is
also advertised separately as a book.  Various commercial publishers have
been involved from time to time in the publication of either the journal
or the books-- the continuing practice, alas, is apparently the desire of
the Society itself.  (The LC cataloging brings this out is various ways,
not all of them clear--the titles can generally be found by searching for
the phrase "royal society discussion") Most libraries would find many
worth buying if they were books, and probably many libraries do, and thus
are paying approximately double for these two series.

At the other end of the spectrum is Haworth, which publishes almost all of
its many journal issues as books. (It does not even select the appropriate
content from the issue, but republishes it --advertisements, book reviews,
columns, and all. There are two mitigating factors: the prices of neither
the books nor the journals is exorbitant, and the duplication is
advertised clearly and prominently. Haworth publishes its books/journals
in many fields of the applied social sciences-- prominent among them, as
we all know, is librarianship.

A general evaluation of the quality of librarianship publishing must be
based on other factors as well.  I do not at the moment feel pessemistic
enough to do it justice.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University