From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Esposito
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 12:52 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Recent Google announcements

I would be interested to know what people are thinking about the recent
Google announcements (Google Scholar, Google Print, etc.) and their
impact on the business of academic librarianship.  If there were a list
called "the meaning of Google," I would like to be on it.  Speculation
appears to be all over the place (what exactly is Google planning to do?
How will this fit into emerging metadata schemes?  Will Google become
the "universal interface" for all research?  Is metasearch dead?  Will
enabling data harvesting by Google become a priority for publishers, and
if so, how wiil this affect the libraries that license content?).  There
appears to be a great deal to learn about this.  As they say at
Starbucks, make it a vente.

Joe Esposito