PRESS RELEASE: More societies join Blackwell Publishing for 2005

--PRESS RELEASE--

Record Number of Scholarly Societies Partner with Blackwell Publishing
- 37 new partnerships; 65 additional journal titles for 2005

Oxford, UK and Boston, MA - January 12, 2005 - Blackwell Publishing is
moving into the new year with 37 new publishing partnerships and 65
journal titles added to its list.  More scholarly societies choose
Blackwell Publishing than any other single publisher.  Over 600 societies
now work with the company further contributing to its status as the
world's largest society publisher.  In 2005, Blackwell will publish more
than 750 academic and professional journal titles in medicine, allied
health, science, social science, and the humanities.

"The addition of close to 40 new clients in one year is a monumental
success for Blackwell and something no other publisher has yet to
achieve," said Blackwell Publishing CEO, Ren� Olivieri.  "Our ability to
deliver high quality publishing services to societies is at the heart of
our success."

In addition to print and electronic publishing Blackwell provides
societies with marketing and PR support, library sales and support,
customer service, financial management, and, in some cases, membership
management services.  Around 98% of the societies with whom Blackwell
partners stay with the publisher each year.

"Our experience with Blackwell has been very positive, from our initial
discussions through publication of the journals," said Jeff Burnham,
Publishing Director for Sigma Theta Tau International with which Blackwell
publishes two peer-reviewed nursing journals.  "We believe the quality of
our journals has been improved through this partnership and global access
to both journals has increased dramatically through our combined efforts."

Since 1995 over 300 journals have transferred to Blackwell Publishing.
130 of these were formerly self-published within a university department
or by an academic or professional society.  The remaining titles moved to
Blackwell from competing commercial publishers, smaller university
presses, or through acquisitions.

During the same period, Blackwell Publishing launched 95 new journal
titles in fast growing research areas, ranging from the study of aging
cells and cellular transportation, to global networks and the bioethics of
the developing world.  "This reflects our real interest in staying current
with the new disciplines emerging from labs and the research community,"
asserts Steven Hall, Journals Sales and Marketing Director at Blackwell
Publishing.  "We have an ongoing dialogue with the scholarly community and
aim to respond to their changing research needs wherever possible."  ��

Link to the online press release for the full list of 2005 journals:
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/press/pressitem.asp?ref=228&site=1

About Blackwell Publishing

Blackwell Publishing is the world's leading society publisher,
partnering with more than 600 academic and professional societies.
Blackwell publishes over 750 journals and 600 text and reference books
annually, across a wide range of academic, medical, and professional
subjects.  The company remains independent with over 900 staff members
in offices in the US, UK, Australia, China, Denmark, Germany, and
Japan.  Blackwell's mission as an expert publisher is to create long-
term partnerships with our clients that enhance learning, disseminate
research, and improve the quality of professional practice.  For more
information on Blackwell Publishing, please visit
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com or http://www.blackwell-synergy.com

Media Contacts

Emily Gillingham
Blackwell Publishing, Oxford