RE: OA needs its own list

Hello everyone,

I agree with Margaret Landesman when she mentions that Liblicense has
"become the most interesting list..." for e-issues etc. Maybe a shift to
higher ground (meaning here perspective) might be useful. So I look across
to other (humanities) disciplines that I have somehow been involved in and
their related lists that I subscribe to. There too I see with increasing
frequency postings on OA. So, in comparison, the proliferation of OA mails
on Liblicense is not so unusual (it seems to me). What it really boils
down to is whether OA should be regarded as a discrete issue. The answer
is no. It should reach across disciplines. In this case the fact that
Liblicense-L is a library list is something which blurs the boundaries
somewhat.

Also, I wonder about other subscribers who signed on to Liblicense
initially for purely e-licensing issues, and yet find the OA postings
(at the very least) useful because they don't subscribe to dedicated OA
lists (??)

Greetings, Jennifer

Jennifer De Beer
Lecturer in Socio-Informatics
Centre for Knowledge Dynamics and Decision-making,  Information Science,

Universiteit Stellenbosch University
http://www.sun.ac.za/infoscience/staff_jennifer.html
+27 (0)21 808 2071 (t)
+27 (0)21 808 2117 (f)