Question regarding ILL

Brian Simboli noted the following:

"First, independently of the whole issue of OA, we must continue to
maintain robust ILL rights and provisions."

JE:  Assuming we are talking about purely electronic publications here,
can anyone tell me why it would ever be in the interest of a proprietary
publisher, whether commercial or not-for-profit, to authorize interlibrary
loans?  I am not saying that such loans are a good or a bad thing; I am
just trying to see how it intersects with a publisher's interests.

--
Joe Esposito