Research Questions

[MOD. NOTE:  If your reply is within scope for this list, please by all
means send it here -- for example, regarding whether your contracts have
anything to say about online reference services; for other types of
directly to the inquirer, at:  dkizilaslan@ku.edu.tr. Thank you]

Dear All,

At the moment we are discussing the limits of reference services when it
come to research questions and I would like to hear about your policies
about handling such questions. Do you make research by yourself and send
the data/articles etc. to the users? Or do you just direct users to the
information source and let him/her carry the research on? At what point do
you stop? Any particular point that you are considering in handling
incoming reference questions and/or research requests are welcome.

The other point that I need your insight is a service at planning stage
that we name as "Research Appointment". Our goal is to schedule research
sessions with users in our office hours. If you have a similar service,
please tell me about it.  For instance, are you using a web based
reservation system or telephone to make research appointments? How did you
market it? All information is appreciated.

Duygu KIZILASLAN
Arts&Humanities Collection Reference Librarian
Koc University, Suna Kirac Library
Rumeli Feneri Yolu, Sariyer, Istanbul, Turkey
Tel: 0212 338 12 25
www.ku.edu.tr