Re: ELECTRONIC UNIVERSITY PRESSES

Here are some source citations that may add a bit to the content already
found on this difficult subject.

Brought to Book
ANU Library

" The few remaining Australian university presses either struggle to
survive or are propped up by university subsidies (eg Western Australia
and Melbourne).

One answer is to move to the "Electronic University Press" with the same
processes of refereeing and editing but making the text available on line
and on demand." <http://anulib.anu.edu.au/about/steele/brought_book.html>

****

JUGL Newsletter
Number 12 Winter 1994/95
JUGL NEWSLETTER: the journal of the JANET User Group for Libraries
H2A01E
ISSN 0960-4693                Issue Number 12, Winter 1994/95
<http://snipurl.com/c7ot>

"Regarding costs, at present the use of the networks is free to academics,
but will it always be so?  Could the universities take over distribution
and become electronic university presses? Would libraries be bypassed?"

****

THE FUTURE OF HIGHER (LIFELONG) EDUCATION:
For All Worldwide, A Holistic View
(All chapters are intended for continuing revision)
Volume I - Chapter One
FORCES INEVITABLY CHANGING EDUCATION
<http://ecolecon.missouri.edu/globalresearch/chapters/1-01.html>

"(n) And a worldwide electronic university press? It is time to talk about
joining institutions in a vast and powerful system for scholarly
communication, said a director of the New York State Library. A
university-based publishing network to bring order to the inexorably
growing online publication process is beginning. International scholarly
and scientific journals multiply, many cross-indexed for instant search
and retrieval. On electronic books, see 3.7.)"

****

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Strategic Plan
Proposed Goals to be achieved by 2010 with
Objectives to be achieved by 2005-06
OVERALL UNIVERSITY GOAL
<http://people.cs.vt.edu/~depthead/FacultyMeetings/
September7.2001/VTStrategicPlan.pdf>

A shorter URL for the above link:

<http://snipurl.com/c7ow>

"1.2.2. Review and analyze program areas to assess
        quality and research productivity
1.2.3. Establish an electronic university press
1.2.4. Develop a new initiative to upgrade research
        computing to the level of the top 40 research
        institutions"

Session A: Changes in University Organisation and Structure
Stefan Gradmann: Reducing White Noise
5. Making Strategies converge
<http://dochost.rz.hu-berlin.de/eunis2001/a/
Gradmann/HTML/gradmann-ch5.html>

A shorter URL for the above link:

<http://snipurl.com/c7oz>

The infrastructure created this way can further be used to implement
document authentication procedures, as well. Other examples for content
aggregation and filtering strategies could have been supplied, too, such
as our ongoing efforts for building a distributed e-publishing environment
with an electronic University Press output component coupled with
networked methods for peer reviewing and quality control or the
collaborative large scale efforts currently made for metadata generation
related to quality content in the WWW within the CORC project.

****

RESEARCH INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE
FRAMEWORK FOR AUSTRALIAN HIGHER EDUCATION
Report of the  Department of Education, Science and Training
Systemic Infrastructure Initiative Information Infrastructure
Advisory Committee
October 2002
<http://staff.library.usyd.edu.au/lpmac/Summary1.doc>

"The development of electronic university presses has the potential to
give institutions the ability to provide scholars with opportunities to
publish works which are of high academic worth but low commercial value.
This particularly affects scholars in the humanities and social sciences."

****

Denison, T. 'The Electronic University Press: Trends and Issues', in EP
94: Proceedings, Beijing, 24-27 October, 1994. pp. 72-80.

****

Dumber & Dumber:
The Crisis for Australia's Research Library Infrastructure
by Colin Steele
University Librarian of the Australian National University
(13/5/98 )
<http://www.anu.edu/caul/eureka.htm>

****

La presse scientifique electronique: analyse de l'offre des intermediaires
Chartron, Ghislaine; Marandin, Clarisse.
Bulletin des Bibliotheques de France
v. 43  no3  1998  p. 28-40

****

Cooperative venture between presses and colleges adds 10 new projects
DeLoughry, Thomas J.
Chronicle of Higher Education
v. 41  April 21 1995  p. A32.

****

Chicago-Kent's law center celebrates anniversary.
Nelson, Milo
Computers in Libraries
June 1994  v. 14  no. 6  p. 14

****

Monash to set up an e-press
Maslen, Geoff
Times Higher Education Supplement
no1586  April 25 2003  p. 10

****

The Changing Face of Scholarly Communication.
Albanese, Andrew Richard
Library Journal
11/1/2001  v. 126  no. 18  p. 49

****

Wednesday, June 6, 2001
Major University Presses Are Signing Deals With a
New Online Venture
By SCOTT CARLSON
Chronicle of Higher Education

****

3/1/00
James Robinson, News Service (650) 723-5675
HighWire Press publishers offer more than
137,000 free online articles
Press Release
<http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/pr/00/000301highwire.html>

****

Linkping University Electronic Press
<http://www.ep.liu.se/>

****

SECURING AUTHENTICITY OF SCHOLARLY PATERNITY
AND INTEGRITY
Anthony Watkinson
September 2003
Resource: The Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries
BOOK INDUSTRY COMMUNICATION
<http://www.bic.org.uk/securing%20authenticity.pdf>

This may represent a bit here and a piece there, but I hope that it helps
the research being conducted.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University