Re: Calculating the Cost : an author rejoinder

I don't pretend to know how politics work in the US, of course, but it
strikes me that the only way in which the government seems to be making a
stance is in their role as a funder of science. As a funder, they seem to
support the idea that research that they (read: the taxpayer)  paid for,
should be available free (especially to the taxpayer). That's behind the
original NIH proposal (and the 'amended' one, which, if recent reports are
to be believed, may be diluted to homeopathic levels).

Does that put the government "in charge of the dissemination of critical
ideas"? No. They are not, and publishers are not. Once research is done
and an article is written, show me the publisher who is "in charge of the
dissemination of critical ideas". If anybody is in charge, it's the
author.

Government funding agencies pay for the research (the ideas) and if they
want to, they can prevent publication, I guess. But that would have to be
publication, full stop. It makes not a shred of difference whether an
article is published in a subscription journal or an open access one. In
both cases it's public. A potentially useful reminder: a copyrighted
article published in a subscription journal may not be disseminated
freely, but the ideas it contains may.

It's great that the US has a strong legal tradition against any sort of
prior restraint. Restraining the dissemination of information based on
research paid by the public and useful for society should be avoided, too.

Jan Velterop