Re: Calculating the Cost per Article in the Current

I had forgotten about the EMBO journal? There will be some other journals
in the same category and from the point of view of Phil and his
calculations, they do count as color charges do count. However I think the
EMBO Journal charges are somewhat different in purpose as I understand
them from page charges in the US sense. My take on US page charges is that
they are intended to subsidise the subscription rates so that such
journals are likely to be cheaper to pay for on subscription than journals
without page charges. My take on EMBO is that the editors want papers to
be restricted to a certain length because this is the sort of concise
papers they want to have in the journal. And they can afford to be picky
because the journal is so well thought of. But you (David) would know
better than me.

I think it is relevant that the great majority of journals from outside
the US do not charge page charges whereas many from the US do because
surely it impacts on calculations. It is also the case that most US grants
have always taken account of the need to pay page charges whereas UK
grants have not taken this into account and grants from at least one UK
research council specifically forbids or did forbid money granted to be
used for that purpose.

Anthony