RE: Calculating the Cost per Article in the Current

I was puzzled by the discussion on this thread: calculating the cost
par article for our faculty, a science faculty in a very small
university (around 10'000 students and 1'000 academic FTE), gives the
following figures:

price per article without electronic access: $ 4'000 - 5'000 (taking
only into account what is paid for journals or what is published in
sciences for 2002-2004)
price per article with electronic access: $ 5'000 - 6'400

These are high prices in comparison with Phil's data, simply because
Fribourg University is small and publish less (around 160 articles
adjusted by first author each year). But we *have to* pay a certain
amount to access journals, and if the number of articles was double or
triple, we would pay about the same. Aren't Phil's data just showing
that big universities publish a lot, and hence have a lower price per
articles ?

In my opinion, comparing the money spend now, for information access,
and money spend by authors for being published in an OA journal is not
relevant. The motivations are different.

Fran�ois