PRESS RELEASE: More societies join Blackwell Publishing for

2005
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:58:32 EST
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

--PRESS RELEASE--

*Record Number of Scholarly Societies Partner with Blackwell Publishing*
- 37 new partnerships; 65 additional journal titles for 2005

Oxford, UK and Boston, MA - January 12, 2005 - Blackwell Publishing is
moving into the new year with 37 new publishing partnerships and 65
journal titles added to its list.  More scholarly societies choose
Blackwell Publishing than any other single publisher.  Over 600
societies now work with the company further contributing to its status
as the world's largest society publisher.  In 2005, Blackwell will
publish more than 750 academic and professional journal titles in
medicine, allied health, science, social science, and the humanities.

"The addition of close to 40 new clients in one year is a monumental
success for Blackwell and something no other publisher has yet to
achieve," said Blackwell Publishing CEO, Ren� Olivieri.  "Our ability
to deliver high quality publishing services to societies is at the
heart of our success."

In addition to print and electronic publishing Blackwell provides
societies with marketing and PR support, library sales and support,
customer service, financial management, and, in some cases, membership
management services.  Around 98% of the societies with whom Blackwell
partners stay with the publisher each year.

"Our experience with Blackwell has been very positive, from our initial
discussions through publication of the journals," said Jeff Burnham,
Publishing Director for Sigma Theta Tau International with which
Blackwell publishes two peer-reviewed nursing journals.  "We believe
the quality of our journals has been improved through this partnership
and global access to both journals has increased dramatically through
our combined efforts."

Since 1995 over 300 journals have transferred to Blackwell Publishing.
130 of these were formerly self-published within a university
department or by an academic or professional society.  The remaining
titles moved to Blackwell from competing commercial publishers, smaller
university presses, or through acquisitions.

During the same period, Blackwell Publishing launched 95 new journal
titles in fast growing research areas, ranging from the study of aging
cells and cellular transportation, to global networks and the bioethics
of the developing world.  "This reflects our real interest in staying
current with the new disciplines emerging from labs and the research
community," asserts Steven Hall, Journals Sales and Marketing Director
at Blackwell Publishing.  "We have an ongoing dialogue with the
scholarly community and aim to respond to their changing research needs
wherever possible."  ��

Link to the online press release for the full list of 2005 journals:
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/press/pressitem.asp?ref=228&site=1

*About Blackwell Publishing*

Blackwell Publishing is the world's leading society publisher,
partnering with more than 600 academic and professional societies.
Blackwell publishes over 750 journals and 600 text and reference books
annually, across a wide range of academic, medical, and professional
subjects.  The company remains independent with over 900 staff members
in offices in the US, UK, Australia, China, Denmark, Germany, and
Japan.  Blackwell's mission as an expert publisher is to create long-
term partnerships with our clients that enhance learning, disseminate
research, and improve the quality of professional practice.  For more
information on Blackwell Publishing, please visit
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com or http://www.blackwell-synergy.com

*Media Contacts*

Emily Gillingham
Blackwell Publishing, Oxford