Re: Calculating the Cost per Article in the Current

Subscription Model
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:48:09 EST
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

Phil,

Rather than assuming that libraries would fund an OA production-based
system on the same basis as they do now, why not calculate what is
affordable for libraries and fund up to this amount?

What publishers need to charge will not always be the same as the cost
per article, as there are additional sources of funding available to
many publishers (revenue from advertising, subscription sales - which
may well continue in an OA world if there is added value, contributions
from departmental funds and funding agencies, submission fees, etc.).

If faculty need to publish in more expensive journals than can be
subsidized through library funding, then perhaps other sources of
funding can be found.

If societies can afford lower prices because they are more efficient, I
don't see why they should not be rewarded for this efficiency through
receiving a higher percentage (not amount) of subsidy per article.

hope this helps,

Heather Morrison

On 10-Jan-05, at 4:06 PM, Phil Davis wrote:

>David Prosser brings up a good point -- that I did not factor in page
>charges and other payments to publishers that do not flow directly from
>the library.  He is also correct in that they are difficult to
>calculate and account for.  Let's see if I can come about estimating
>these costs from another direction ....

[SNIP]