Re: The role, if any, of librarianship journals

Joe/

Yes, indeed! It should all be about Discourse!

Please do read my recent article which describes five (alternative)
types of peer review (includes major examples of each profiled type):

"Peer Review in the Internet Age: Five (5) Easy Pieces," _Against
the Grain_ 16, no. 3 (June 2004): 50, 52-55

A self-archived PDF copy is available at

[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/FiveEasyPieces.pdf ]

Enjoy!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
and
Science and Technology Librarian and Bibliographer
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu

c: liblicense-l

>>> espositoj@gmail.com 1/11/2005 5:03:39 PM >>>
I think David has hit the nail on the head.  Note that there is no
reference to prepublication peer review in this formulation.  Instead,
peer review will be post-publication.  Scholarly communications becomes
a matter of discourse, not of published artifacts.  *This is how the
Internet thinks.* (It's the medium, not the whatever.) Tenure
committees will have to find new ways to evaluate researchers if the
traditional journals are permitted to decline.  I tried to make these
points several months ago and was roundly criticized.  I hope David
fares better.

Joe Esposito