Re: A word on calculating costs

These various attempts to get at the "true" cost basis for research
publications all assume that the costs are static, but they are not.
Were the world to move from a user-pays (the current) model to any of the
various forms of author-pays currently being bruited about, everything
would change:  the number of articles, the number of fields, the nature of
journals themselves, the role of prepublication peer review, and so on.
Modelling this economic system will be as complicated as predicting the
weather.

Joe Esposito