Re: What Elsevier really said to the select committee

Tony is right, it was 20% that was mentioned by Crispin Davis in the
inquiry. Abject apologies. I should have read over my message more
carefully before pressing the send-button.

However, also 20% for the proportion of the total revenues that comes from
industry for primary research articles I find implausible, unless that
number is somehow substantiated or made believable. It is important to
specify 'primary research articles', as that is the only material proposed
to be made available with open access and therefore the only material on
which the 'free-rider' argument has any potential bearing at all.

The phrase "using BMC's current prices, the figure would fall from 10% to
between 4.3% and 1.6%" I don't understand. If Don King's figures are
right, and industry pays for about 7% of research leading to published
articles, industry pays 7% of the cost in an article-processing-fee OA
model.

Another way of looking at the free-rider 'problem' is this: if a
free-rider is someone who profits from the investment made by someone
else, and we then look at the scientific research process, where funders
invest hundreds of thousands per project and researchers months or years
of their time, to subsequently have to hand over the written up results of
that investment with all the exploitation rights to the publisher, we
might get an idea of who the actual free-rider is.

Jan Velterop