RE: A word on calculating costs

One of the problems in discussing costs is the great variety of approaches
to what actually constitutes "costs".  This varies between bodies with a
sector, and even more so between for-profit and not-for-profit
organisations.  I've managed budgets in many not-for-profit contexts.
Always I've experienced the phemomenon of there being different kinds of
money.  Most of these distinctions have their origin in one or more of
these axes: fixed/variable, realisable savings/unrealisable savings,
capital/recurrent, traditional/innovatory, fun/boring; and there has also
been an underlying assumption of multiple sources of funding some of it
external to the parentinstitution, particularly for experiment and
innovation.

This is much, much less true in the private sector, where expenditure
tends to be just expenditure (with of course there is the assumption that
it is a Bad Thing), to be switched where needed when needed.  In many ways
it's a much simpler world, but with a more rigorous discipline - that
everything (including wages and pensions) is paid for by sales income.
It means that when private sector work out costs, everything has to be
included - not just the cost of doing the work and wheeling out and
selling the finished item, but also contingency, life-cycle calculations,
future-proofing and above all a realistic overhead.

And I would like to concur with Dean Anderson's assertion that in today's
STM journal industry cost-control is an absolutely crucial variable.

Tony

Tony McSe�n
Director of Library Relations
Elsevier