What Elsevier really said to the select committee

Jan makes two assertions about Elsevier which are factually incorrect.

Elsevier did not tell the UK parliamentary select committee that industry
subscriptions to STM publications amounted to 30% of the total.  On page 9
of our written evidence, available at
<http://www.elsevier.com/authored_news/corporate/images/UK_STC_FINAL_SUBMISSI
ON.pdf>, we refer to an estimate that corporate organisations may
currently account for "around 20% of annual global STM journal spending"
and that under an author-pays OA model they would pay 10% of their current
costs. The 20% figure is an approximation based on SIMBA data
<www.simbanet.com> relating to institutional subscriptions to STM
journals. (Incidentally, using BMC's current prices, the figure would fall
from 10% to between 4.3% and 1.6%.)

To say that we "failed to substantiate figures" is incorrect.  We were
scrupulous in providing all of the information requested by the Select
Committee.

I don't wish to labour the point.  But in view of the seriousness of the
allegation - that Elsevier lied to a parliamentary working party - I
thought it important to put the facts on record.

Tony

Tony McSe�n
Director of Library Relations
Elsevier