RE: Calculating the Cost per Article in the Current Subscription Model

Dear Phil,

For your ISI figure, I assumed you meant that the ISI covered that high
percetage of the science journals that either an ARL library would buy, or
that ARL faculty will publish in. As I understand your model, it's only
the cost of such publications that are relevant.  I recognize that some
applied and area programs will have more non ISI, but I'm not sure it is
much more in terms of cost, whatever it may be in terms of titles or
articles

Consider the institutions that would spend more because they produce more
articles:  those univesities are able to produce more because they have
the grant funding to support it.  This funding comes with an overhead, a
small portion of which is used to help support libraries; perhaps a
somewhat larger proportion would be obtainable to support publication.
It might appear to administrators that such suppport is more closely
conected to the purpose of the grant, than they now consider the library
portion.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University