To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 2:06 AM
Subject: Re: Calculating the Cost per Article in the Current Subscription Model

Very interesting and very helpful data. I would like to point out that
the cost per article published (Figure A) - appears to be about $2,500
to $5,000 - does not represent the full range of estimates, but rather
what I would consider to be overestimates of cost. The Wellcome Trust
report, for example, quotes about $1,500 US for an OA journal of high
quality, and less for a medium-quality journal (not unlike the $1,500
charge for PLoS and about $525 for BioMedCentral. Tenopir and King, as
I recall, also estimate around $1,500 per article. Changing these
figures radically changes the conclusions.

To illustrate the difference this factor makes, consider that if the
publication cost per article can be lowered to about $500 US average,
then ALL the ARL libraries would pay less under open access. If we
assume an average cost of $1000 US (averaging BMC and PLoS publication
charges is about this amount), then 6 ARL libraries pay more under OA,
not 67 as per the present spreadsheet.

Other indications that the figures are an overestimate of what is
necessary: recently, SPARC Publishing Partner Optics Express, an OA
publisher, recently announced that they are set to generate a modest net
revenue this year, basing total revenue on publication charges of $450
for articles six pages and under,and $800 for articles over six pages. See the announcement in the SPARC Open Access Forum at
https://mx2.arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/Message/1360.html

I have been working on figuring out how much money is really needed to
publish even a very high-end STM article, working from the ground up
(the work involved, salaries, overhead, etc.). My current estimate is
about $500 U.S. per article. Sally Morris figures that this does not
factor in rejected articles, which she thinks take twice as much work as
accepted articles. Even taking this at face value, we still get an
estimate of about $1,500 U.S. per article. On the other hand, other
expert sin the publishing industry has told me that my estimates are
based on higher salaries than what they actually pay, and I believe
there is room for even more efficiencies. If you're interested in the
details of my calculations, go to the SPARC Open Access Forum archives
https://mx2.arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/List.html and search for
"Imaginary Journal".

The lowest rates will be achieved through totally open access journals,
electronic only, published by nonprofit organizations (no taxes). This
is not to say that current publishers would charge such reasonable
amounts - Springer does charge $3,000 per article, obviously. My point
is that this much revenue is not truly necessary for an open access
scholarly publishing model.

One issue that Phil's analysis highlights, which I think is very
important, is that production-based models do not factor in potential
contributions by other players, such as non-research libraries and
corporations. I believe there must be ways to involve these groups as
well. For example, it makes sense to me that governments would provide
some subsidy for an OA scholarly publishing scheme for the benefits that
accrue to the education system, and for government employees. It would
probably be best if this was only a small portion of the total, to avoid
the potential of government control (some might prefer no contributions
and no potential for control whatsoever, of course). There could be
other opportunities for contributions by other sectors, such as using
the tax regime to manage corporate contributions (i.e. corporations
which apply for tax relief due to R & D could have the option of making
their results openly accessible, or contributing to a fund to be
distributed to the research-producing universities). One reason to
hesitate before adopting such a scheme is that it may not be necessary -
and having the research universities control the funding entirely leaves
the control of the system entirely in their hands.

Many thanks for this spreadsheet and analysis, Phil - very helpful!

cheers,

Heather Morrison