RE: Calculating the Cost per Article in the Current Subscription Model

The goal of this model was for readers to challenge and question its
assumptions and the model itself, and David and Heather are doing just
that.  Because I'm not a publisher, I will leave the cost per article in a
producer-pays model up to those who know much more than me.  I will answer
David's other questions about the model:

4. Our taskforce assumes that 50% of an ARL serials budget goes to
purchase scholarly journals.  The rest goes to purchase indexes and
databases, magazines, newspapers, encyclopedias, and anything that can be
considered a regular subscription cost.  It is really difficult to take a
line item budget and start dividing it up this way.  We tried it at
Cornell and came up with around 50% and assume that other ARL libraries
are about the same.

ISI indexing coverage

I'm a bit surprised that no one to date has challenged the percentage of
scholarly articles that are indexed by ISI.  Based on an idealized model
in which ISI only indexes the most prolific journals (in rank order),
their 8,769 indexed journals index only 44% of scholarly journals, but an
amazing 92% of the articles published!  We all anecdotally know this
figure to be much too high, and I haven't received anything more accurate
from the staff at ISI.  Lowering this indexing percentage down to say 70%
has an amazing affect on the results -- much more than adjusting the cost
per article range.

Your concluding paragraph is very cogent and needs no paraphrasing except
some additional words on the implications if this economic model is
correct.  Firstly, this very conservative model predicts that most ARL
institutions would pay more in a producer-pays model than in a
subscription model.  This is consistent with anticipated results: in a
producer-pays model, those who produce more will pay more.  Researchers at
the top 100 research institutions produce the vast majority of published
research in the US and Canada, and if the full costs of publishing are
concentrated among these top producers, it is reasonable that they will
pay more.  Not all ARL institutions are predicted to pay more -- there are
a handful of smaller institutions with very large library endowments
(which is why they are part of ARL), who may pay less.

Whether or not a producer-pays Open Access model is cheaper overall, some
ARL institutions would pay considerably more in a producer-pays model and
the real challenge will to find ways to reallocate or redistribute money
to make this happen.

Sincerely,
Phil Davis