To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>; <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 1:18 AM
Subject: Money for OA; was, RE: fascinating question

I merely add to Sally's note that although it is important to determine
the access to funds now, it is yet more important to make provision for an
increased supply in the future. This is in a sense a mutual dependency: we
are more likely to get increased funds for author-paid OA journals when
there is a substantial quantity of important OA journals, and we are more
likely to be able to convert major journals to OA if the funds are
available to pay for the articles. This stalemate is one of the reasons
for the slow progress.

As a librarian, I am of course concerned with whether some portion of
library funds will be diverted to this purpose.  It seems reasonable to me
that they should be.  Just as an example, if all of the Elsevier titles
were to become paid-on-behalf-of-the-author OA. there is no reason that
the library should need the million dollars or so to subscribe to Science
Direct, It's not as if we got to keep the money--we are merely the
intermediaries in transferring it from the university to the publisher.

I have suggested similar on this list previously, to general ridicule.
(http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0404/msg00057.html)
Having seen many truly absurd proposals in the interim, I again propose
that in order to accomplish OA, the subscription money saved for each
journal that becomes OA be divided in half.  One half should go to
partially support author fees--administered by anyone other than the
librarians--; the remaining half should be used to buy books.

(The remainder of the author fees should be grant and university funds--
they might not be able to pay the whole cost, but they probably could pay
part, and subsidize authors in fields that do not get significant grants
but still need money to publish.)

The university saves on money for the library.
The library saves on money for the publishers.
The publishers get to sell books to the library.
The authors find their publication supported.
The readers get access to all journals.

Dr. David Goodman
dgoodman@liu.edu