RE: Fascinating quotation

> This is something publishers can deliberately affect, should they want
> to. If they are willing to decrease their profits to eliminate price
> increases altogether, I predict they will see almost no cancellations.

For publishers that are realizing very significant profits from their
publications, this may be true.  However, we should bear in mind that
library cancellations are not only (or even mainly) political statements.
When we cancel, it is often simply because we either can't afford to
continue subscribing, or because we've realized that the journal in
question gets little or no use.  In either of those circumstances, the
profitability of the publisher has no bearing at all on our decision.

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries