Re: Fascinating quotation

I suspect that, rather than two blind men trying to describe an elephant,
Joe and I are actually describing two different animals.

Aggregator products like EBSCOhost, Project MUSE and JSTOR are typically
subscribed to by academic libraries, not by medical libraries. In fact,
JSTOR has no journals in medicine, health, or the biomedical sciences; and
Project MUSE has only six titles. I don't doubt that Joe's clients are
correct in saying that libraries are cancelling journals because of their
later availability in these packages. But those are not medical libraries.

The topic under discussion was the NIH proposal, which will affect the
biomedical literature. As I stated earlier, biomedical users have an
urgent need for immediate access to the latest literature. For medical
librarians, cancellation of a journal because SOME articles MIGHT show up
six months later is not a viable option. The medical library is a
different animal from an academic library, and comparisons must be done
with caution.

I wonder if the ALPSP study differentiates between these two markets?

Mark Funk
Head, Collection Development
Weill Cornell Medical Library
1300 York Avenue