Canadian copyright forum: licensing the Internet?

** With apologies for cross-posting **

The following may be of interest to readers of this list:

A coalition of organizations has formed to address some very serious
concerns with proposed Canadian copyright reform. Details can be found on
the Canadian Library Association website at: http://www.cla.ca/copyright/

Following is an excerpt explaining concerns in brief:

[snip]

The Committee's proposed amendments would drastically change the way the
public and students access information - for the worse. We have many
concerns with the proposed amendments, including:
* The fact that the Report ignores the concept of user rights (to access copyrighted content) and the criteria for fair dealing, both of which have been endorsed in recent Supreme Court decisions; and

* The Report ignores the fact that the Internet is not primarily a
commercial marketplace, but rather the "commons" or public park of the new
electronic-based global village.

* We believe licencing is not the answer to all copyright issues, and
strongly disagree with the Committee's proposal to licence the Internet.

[snip]

best,

Heather G. Morrison
Project Coordinator