FW: Covert Article Republishing Discovered in Emerald/MCB UP

1989-2003
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:28:53 EST
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

Phil,

Well...we're working here from my memory of something that happened more
than six years ago, so be forewarned. I don't have any records of it.

It is my recollection that I was asked for my permission to republish a
paper that had been published in another Emerald/MCB journal. The person
asking my permission said that he thought that the readership of the
republishing journal would benefit from my paper. To the best of my
knowledge the editor did not mention anything about attribution. To be
honest, I don't think I thought about attribution one way or the other at
that time. Maybe I assumed they would automatically do it. I just don't
recall. I know I thought about attribution when it came to my list of
publications...I make it very clear that it was a republication and not an
additional paper.

You said "I can't seem to believe that you were in full knowledge of how
your work was going to be reprinted.  If you did, would you have given
your permission?" Well, yeah, I would have said "no" if the editor had
come to me and said "We want to republish your paper, and we want to keep
the republication a secret from our customers."

But that's not how it happened...

I'm not sure I get the point?

Bernie Sloan