Re: Covert Article Republishing Discovered in Emerald/MCB UP 1989-2003

Lawyers on this list will be able to cite the specific law in the U.S.
(which grew out of a company many years ago selling used motor oil in a
package that made it look new, as I recall) which requires prior
publication of material to be noted on the "new" product.  This is why you
will often see in a bookstore a dictionary, say, with a line on the jacket
to the effect that the book was "based on the Random House Unabridged
Dictionary" or whatever.  So I wonder if the republishing incident
discussed here is not only a terrible trade practice, but perhaps a
violation of law.

Speaking as a commercial publisher, I am often not surprised that so many
people hate us.