RE: Covert Article Republishing Discovered in Emerald/MCB UP 1989-2003

Dear Phil,

It would be equally constructive and honorable if Emerald were to state
simply and directly that it intended to refund the money specifically paid
twice for the articles concerned.  It has not yet even said that.

As for the authors, I was the author of one paper in Online Information
Review. I considered that a respectable journal, and it does not seem to
have been involved in any reprinting. Had I known it was published by a
publisher engaged in such practices, I would not have published it there.
That one of my articles was published in a journal from such a publisher
will not help my career as much as anticipated.

Aslib, in a move that caused some controversy at the time, transferred its
publications (Journal of Documentation and Aslib Proceedings) to Emerald.
I cannot imagine that they would have done so if they had known the
publisher's practices.  I can certainly say that I was in fact considering
Aslib Proceedings for a paper that I am currently finishing--I shall not
send it there. Once bitten is bad enough.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu