RE: Post-cancellation arrangements and ScienceDirect

Those associated with any of the first-round SD contracts can confirm what
Tony says: these contracts were always clear that the user had the right
to access after cancellation, but the specific terms were not detailed. In
that recent relatively optimistic period, everyone was quite willing to
put off detailed discussion of what seemed so distant, so unlikely, and so
unpleasant.

This is now: cancellations remain unpleasant, but they have been occurring
and will presumably continue: with so many SD contracts in existence, this
is not surprising. Perhaps we agree that the continuation terms should be
set so they do not affect this decision; choosing among options should be
on the basis of the most efficient and desirable way of accessing
currently-needed content, with the assurance that suitable ways of
continuing future access at known costs will be permanently available. Put
more directly, the terms should not force one to stay in an otherwise
undesired contract.

Tony discussed the possibility of running one's own server; it was always
available as an option, just as it is an option for current content for
subscribers who prefer their own platform. Over many years we have seen
the balance between local and centralized storage and use of data shift
several times. At present, both communications and storage are inexpensive
by earlier standards, and the choice will probably not be determined
solely by technical factors. The generally unsatisfactory experience of
operating locally networked CDs in the past may no longer be applicable.

For many years the SD platform was (imho) clearly among the very few good
electronic journal interfaces; many others have now improved, The more
complete incorporation of journal content into library systems proceeds in
several different directions. The page for Science Direct Onsite gives an
indication of the possibilities Elsevier are developing:
(http://www.info.sciencedirect.com/licensing_options/sd_onsite/index.shtml)
There are of course many other being developed elsewhere.  A library might
well be reluctant to be locked into any particular solution at this early
period.

If I were buying journals content at this time, with the changes to be
brought about by OA so little known, I would want as much as possible to
be under my library's physical control.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University