Re: Copyright in China

I do not read Chinese, but based on the article in the NY Times and my own
experience with bootlegs in Asia, I doubt this was a parody.  Our
experience many years ago at Encyclopaedia Britannica in doing even an
authorized translation into Chinese was a doozy.  As for the comment that
"it should not be difficult to design systems to ensure and compare the
integrity of documents," I wonder who is going to do all this easy work,
when they will do it, and on whose budget.  I am not saying that the work
is hard and that it won't be done; I just want to know how it is all going
to happen.  The related question is who is going to organize this work,
how it will be managed, and to whom the management is held accountable.
In other words, all the things one takes for granted in a commercial
environment.

Joe Esposito