Elsevier and SELL

Dear Mr. Mcsean,

Thank you for your reply to the SELL statement I would like to make the
following comments.

1. Concerning the archival access. As far as I know only 16 sites in the
world host locally ScienceDirect. This means that the majority of your
customers have online access to your servers. Of course Elsevier can
charge a fee to cover costs for providing access to purchased material if
there is no renewal of an agreement, but charging per full-text download
for material already purchased is unacceptable. Elsevier's sale managers
told us that this is an non-negotiable principle. The same, we were told,
applies for the cost of the full-text downdload: the price is
non-negotiable.

2. Indeed for the past 5 years Elsevier had reasonable price increases.
That was the reason we became customers. But with your new pricing model
the price increase is much higher.  With your new UTL model you give less
access for more money.

Basically with your new pricing model we are damned if we sign (higher
cost) and damned if we do not sign (we still have to pay hundreds of
thousands of dollars for material already purchased). Local archiving is a
solution but it does not happen overnight. We should have been forwarned
for the consequenses of choosing access over local loading. The previous
license agreements stipulated perpetual access under no specific terms.

The very high use of SD worldwide is not an excuse for high price
increases.

I agree that open and constructive two-way communication is very
important, if it is indeed two-way.

Sincerely,

Claudine Dervou
Coordinator
Steering Committee
HEAL-Link

Claudine Xenidou-Dervos (Mrs.)    Tel.:    +30.2310.998208 (work)
Site Librarian,                            +30.2310.231039 (home)
Physics & Informatics Depts.,     Fax :    +30.2310.999428
Aristotle University,
54124 Thessaloniki,
Macedonia, Greece                 EMail:   dervou@physics.auth.gr