From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu on behalf of Joseph Esposito
Sent: Sun 10/24/2004 9:06 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Copyright in China

The following appears as an editorial in today's NY Times
(http://nytimes.com, registration required).  The topic is copyright.  We
should expect to see more abuses of this kind in the future, exponentially
more, as the Internet makes piracy and the alteration of text much easier
than they are in hardcopy.  Open Access documents will be particularly
susceptible to this kind of abuse--which, I hasten to add, is not an
argument against OA but a plea for careful (and costly?) management of all
digital materials.  The editorial is written with winning humor ("'The
town of Hope, where I was born, has very good feng shui'"), but it takes
little to imagine papers on controversial scientific subjects (say, stem
cell research) getting distorted in awful ways.

My meat-and-potatoes question of the morning is, Who will pay for the
management of textual integrity when economic incentives are removed from
the equation?

Joe Esposito