RE: NEJM editorial on open access

Two brief comments on John Sack's informative message:

1.  I had read the NEJM editorial in the same way, namely that the authors
were asking for the option to link to NEJM's (or other publishers' sites)
rather than necessarily posting articles to PubMed Central.  If that is a
publisher's preference, what would be amiss in permitting it?  In fact, it
would seem to be an easier solution...

2.  Re. NIH-funded research: Does anyone know what percentage of
biomedical research in the US is funded through NIH?  I had thought it was
a huge majority but it seems more accurate proportions would be between
20-30%.  Anyone out in liblicense-l land who can offer numbers with at
least somewhat authoritative sources?

Ann Okerson/Yale Library