Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: More on "information wants to be free"

Another related statement about information "wanting" to be free, about
the time of Stewart Brand, was Harlan Cleveland (c1985) in a book chapter
entitled::  "Twilight of Hierarchy;  Speculations on the Global
Information Society."  In this chapter he stated a version of "information
wants to be free" and didn't footnote Brand.  He stated "Information is
diffusive.  It tends to leak--and the more it leaks the more we have."
Maybe information leaked between them.

I unfortunately don't have the citation for this chapter - just a
photocopy, but I remember it being widely referred to in the later
1980's.

Carol Ann Hughes
Associate University Librarian
Public Services