SELL statement for ScienceDirect

Statement for the new pricing model of Elsevier for ScienceDirect

The SELL (Southern European Libraries Link) declares its deepest concern
for the new consortial pricing policy of science publisher Elsevier for
their Mediterranean customers., Extortionate price increases as high as
100%, unilateral changes in pricing ground rules involving non-previously
subscribed titles, and new access limitations are deeply troubling. Not
only are such financial demands beyond the ability of our academic
communities to take on, but they raise the question of whether such an
outrageous approach by Elsevier represents a serious, let alone a good
faith, effort to negotiate contract renewals.

We are equally concerned about Elsevier�s new policy regarding perpetual
access after the termination of an agreement which requires a substantial
payment per downloaded article. This policy would result in consortia
paying enormous amounts for material already purchased. Once again this is
beyond all acceptable limits and we cannot consent to such a policy.

And finally, we are concerned that what has been and should continue to be
a mutually satisfactory and productive partnership between the academic
producers of information and the sellers of that information appears to be
breaking down to the strong disadvantage of both sides. By abandoning a
consortial approach the academic community will have access to less
information and Elsevier will face substantial declines in revenues. Once
such a breech occurs it will not be easily or soon repaired. But, if
Elsevier insists in charging so much for their products, we believe that,
rather soon than later, we will be forced to abandon any type of
cooperation or contractual relationship.

Therefore, in the strongest possible terms we encourage Elsevier to
reconsider their radical and disruptive proposals and return to the
incremental pricing approach and use policies of their original consortial
contracts in the Southern European region.

Endorsed by:

HEAL-Link (Greece)
ANKOS (Turkey)
CASPUR (Italy)
CIBER  (Italy)
CILEA  (Italy)
INFER (Italy)
CBUC  (Spain)
UMIC (Portugal)

Claudine Xenidou-Dervos (Mrs.)    Tel.:    +30.2310.998208 (work)
Site Librarian,                            +30.2310.231039 (home)
Physics & Informatics Depts.,     Fax :    +30.2310.999428
Aristotle University,
54124 Thessaloniki,
Macedonia, Greece                 EMail:   dervou@physics.auth.gr