Re: More on "information wants to be free"

Joe and All,

Another related statement about information "wanting" to be free, about
the time of Stewart Brand, was Harlan Cleveland (c1985) in a book chapter
entitled:: "Twilight of Hierarchy; Speculations on the Global
Information Society." In this chapter he stated a version of "information
wants to be free" and didn't footnote Brand. He stated "Information is
diffusive. It tends to leak--and the more it leaks the more we have." Maybe information leaked between them.

I unfortunately don't have the citation for this chapter - just a
photocopy, but I remember it being widely referred to in the later 1980's.

Carol Ann Hughes
Associate University Librarian
Public Services
UCI Libraries