Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:19:53 EDT
From: Steve Cohn <steve@dukeupress.edu>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Project MUSE response

I am not sure what Kathleen Keane felt that she needed to correct in my
Open Letter to Librarians, posted to Liblicense a few days ago, but I do
want to make it perfectly clear that I agree with and endorse absolutely
everything Kathleen said in her response, copied below. Project MUSE does
remain a strong collaborative enterprise, it does continue to expand
steadily, it does contain and continue to add many high-quality journals,
and it does have (and continue to earn) very strong support from the
library community.

It is precisely because of that strong support that I felt the need to
explain at length to the library community our own decision-making process
at Duke UP, and its background. As I said explicitly in my open letter, we
at Duke certainly hope and expect that Project MUSE will continue its
success.

Stephen A. Cohn, Director
Duke University Press
Box 90660 Duke University