RE: OUP Project TORCH - Thanks; Oct 1 deadline reminder

Dear Adam,

It is very possible that you have proposed the best course to be pursued
in the future, but it will not be possible for some time.

I apologize to my friends at OUP; I recognize their good intentions, but
their proposal remains a terribly unfortunate solution to this dilemma. I
suggest a possible temporary measure--which is that they publish initially
books which either contain no illustration whose rights they do not have,
or those with only a few such, whose licenses can be afforded. I recognize
its insufficiency, but this would establish their program, and hopefully
give them some negotiating power with other rights holders. (And I hope
that sufficient appropriate titles exist!)

It is especially difficult that the length of copyright provided by
present law in the US and the UK is such that these considerations will
for many years affect the good intentions of publishers, hamper reprinting
of needed books, and slow the development of electronic resources, while
not providing the income to the copyright holder that was intended. If the
licensing is too expensive to be afforded, nobody gains.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu