RE: OUP Project TORCH - Thanks; Oct 1 deadline reminder

To avoid possibly biasing the survey, I have delayed posting until after
the survey closed. OUP is proposing to reprint electronically numerous
important scholarly books, mainly from its humanities and social sciences
list, and sell them in packages--the main purpose of the survey seems to
have been an attempt to determine a market price--and presumably to get
some publicity for the project.

Unfortunately OUP does not own the rights to many of the illustrations. It
thus proposes to provide these books, in fields such as art, literature,
and history, without some of the illustrations, rather than pay the
necessary fees to the rightsholders, which might price the books beyond
what libraries would pay.

I have never known a library deliberately purchase books with some of the
illustrations removed (except sometimes in the case of great rarities
where complete copies cannot be obtained). I have never known a library
even accept such books as donations. I refer here not just to academic
research libraries, but to all libraries, however modest.

I recognize the dilemma, but OUP may soon be able to advertise itself as:
OUP, the Publisher of Mutilated Books. Perhaps Torch was the right name
for this project.

Assoc. Prof. David Goodman
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu