Re: OA and copyright (RE: Springer blasts Open Choice criticism)

While I don't think the Springer Open Choice program is likely to be
successful in the long run (the administrative requirements for tracking
prices, Open Choice income, an institution's credits, etc., are likely to
be a tangle), it should be noted what Springer has NOT done: namely, used
the Open Choice flavor of Open Access as a way to increase income--as one
would have expected and which, frankly, Springer's shareholders have a
right to demand.  As reported in the OA debate in the Nature forum over
the past several months, at least one society journal (yes, a
not-for-profit) allows an author or author's proxy to purchase OA rights
after publication and ON TOP OF the subscription revenue.  In effect some
articles get paid for twice:  once as a subscription and a second time to
set it "free" in the OA world.  That Springer should have foregone this
option is a matter of wonder.

Joe Esposito