How many libraries are enough?

I would have thought that the context of my question concerning one
library or many made it clear that I was referring only to networked
digital libraries with Open Access content.  So, for the record:

We need more bricks-and-mortars libraries, not fewer, and we need
professionals to train users in physical and online research.  Would I pay
higher taxes to support these services?  Yes.  Absolutely, emphatically
yes.  While the interest on this list tends to be skewed toward research
libraries (understandably and entirely appropriately), my own bias, as a
genetic Democrat, is toward school and public libraries, where much of the
business of acculturation of poor and immigrant populations takes place.

--
Joe Esposito